Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Jan Karon’s Mitford Year Novels

When I first began this series with At Home in Mitford, I thought it was a cozy mystery. A friend had loaned it to me, and it sat on my shelf for a year before I finally decided to read it. As I read, I kept wondering, “Where’s the mystery?” About halfway through, I finally realized, “This isn’t a mystery, although it is cozy. It’s a darned good book!” Karon creates characters I want to spend time with, from compelling to quirky. I want to live in Mitford with these characters. I want the warm, flawed character of Father Tim as my rector. I want to sit in the park and scratch Barnabas behind the ears. I want to enjoy Cynthia’s humor as we visit across our backyards. This is one of those rare books that I didn’t want to end. Fortunately, there are eight more in the series. Karon has created a warm and engaging world you won’t want to leave. Four out of four bookworms.



No comments: