Thursday, March 1, 2007

Trouble in High Heels by Christina Dodd

Christina Dodd's historicals are my favorites, but I also read her contemporaries when I’m in the mood. Trouble in High Heels was my car book for the past week. I was so hooked at the beginning that I took my car book inside the house and read. I know. That’s cheating, but I couldn’t help it. About two-thirds of the way through, I took it back to the car and finished it there. I liked Brandi Michaels, for the most part. She becomes a little ditzoid around jewelry. In fact, she gets so ditzoid at a pawn shop that she doesn’t realize the salesman is in big trouble. It was so obvious that I was a little put out with the author at that point, but I got over it. (It is a fantasy, after all.) The hero, Count Roberto Bartolini, didn’t do a lot for me. Firstly, I’m not into royalty. Secondly, he was something of a door mat. No matter how bitchy and unreasonable Brandi got, he just smiled indulgently. (Yes, it is a fantasy.) Thirdly, we didn’t really get to know him. Still, the story was fast-paced, especially in the beginning. It didn’t keep me up all night, but it did keep me reading. Three out of four bookworms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's writing contemps now?

And I cannot believe you took your car book inside.

Take a hint from me: Choose a book that's not too engrossing for a public transportation book. Otherwise you'll miss your stop.

Julie said...

Yea, she's been writing them for a while. I like her historicals better.

DH has missed his bus stop more than once!