Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Marcelli Princess by Susan Mallery

I loved the first four Marcelli books: The Sparkling One, The Sassy One, The Seductive One, and The Marcelli Bride. So when The Marcelli Princess came out, I picked up a copy with confidence. I knew I would enjoy this book. Unfortunately, I didn’t. As I’ve said before, I'm not real big on royalty in contemporary romances. However, that wasn’t my biggest problem with this book. My biggest problem was the hero planning to steal the heroine’s son. The only reason he didn’t get away with it was because he got caught. I’m sorry, but there are too many men out there stealing children and hiding them in countries where Mom will never find them. As far as I’m concerned, it’s an unforgivable offense unless the mother is abusing the child. That was clearly not the case here. I can’t imagine ever trusting such a man again, much less desiring him physically. However, Mia Marcelli doesn’t seem to have the same problem that I do. This man has lied to her twice—first when he lets her believe he is dead and again five years later when he tells her he loves her and wants to marry her. And she still wants to have sex with him, and she still loves him. It’s like a woman who still loves and desires the man who beats her or her children. It doesn’t work for me. How do you trust a man like that? Sure, he’s sorry, and he’s charming and kind and considerate and loving for a day or two, maybe even longer, but who knows when Mr. Hyde will strike again? With my child at stake, I wouldn’t want to find out. I finished the book because I wanted to know if Ms. Mallery could wrap things up to my satisfaction. She didn’t, and in truth, I don’t think there’s any way she could have. Yes, this is fantasy. But too many women live with abusive men whom they believe have changed or will change, only to be beaten again. Romances should not perpetuate that fantasy. One out of four bookworms.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie, sorry you didn't like the book. Honestly, I don't think I've ever read a "bad" Susan Mallery book. I have this one on my TBR pile and personally I'm looking forward to it so I'll reserve my judgement at this time.

I loved this series and also her Buchanan series. Have you read them yet?

Julie said...

Marilyn,

I haven't read the Buchanan series, yet. I liked the Los Lobos books and Sweet Surrender. I still like Mallery's voice. I just couldn't stomach the hero in The Marcelli Princess. However, it won't keep me from reading more!