Monday, March 12, 2007

Every Breath You Take by Judith McNaught

I love Judith McNaught. Her historical romances are my favorites. I’m always reluctant to read her contemporaries. I don’t know why. I always enjoy them. Every Breath You Take was no exception. McNaught understands that sexual tension does not arise from the characters having sex. It arises from the characters not having sex. Unlike many contemporary romance authors, she does not throw her hero and heroine into bed immediately. They get to know each other first. They don’t bicker. They have real problems and real obstacles to romantic happiness. Such is the case with Kate Donovan and Mitchell Wyatt. They meet while Kate is waiting for her boyfriend to join her on the island of Anguilla. In fact, Kate has just finished a list of pros and cons to help her decide whether to break off the four-year relationship. The attraction is instant. The sex isn’t, much to Mitchell’s disappointment. Unfortunately, Kate’s boyfriend shows up, and Kate trusts him more than she does Mitchell. She believes her boyfriend’s lies about Mitchell over what her heart tells her. I have to admit, the boyfriend is convincing—he is, after all, a very skilled lawyer. Three years later, a kidnapping brings Kate and Mitchell together again. But is it too late? Four out of four bookworms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too love Judith McNaught, but this book seemed a little flat for me. I just didn't buy the Big Misunderstanding.

Maybe I'm just getting old.