Monday, June 4, 2007

The Taming of the Duke by Eloisa James

Yes, I’ve been reading a lot of romance lately. I’ve been in the mood. The Taming of the Duke is another Essex sister romance, one I’ve been wanting to read so I could find out what happened to the Essex sisters' guardian, the Duke of Holbrook.

Imogen, Lady Maitland, has decided that she has mourned the death of her husband long enough. She is determined to have a very brief, very discreet affaire. She finds the perfect man in her guardian’s illegitimate brother, Gabe Spenser. Gabe has other ideas. So does Imogen’s guardian who has secretly carried a torch for Imogen since he first met her just weeks before she eloped with Draven Maitland. A comedy of disguised identities ensues. I like Eloisa James’s sensuous writing style and quick dialogue. Although I enjoyed this book, I had some problems with it. I found it difficult to believe that Imogen, the heroine, couldn’t tell the difference between Rafe (the Duke) and his brother, Gabe, when they decide to switch places. After several passionate encounters with the Duke posing as Gabe, she still doesn’t get hot and bothered by the Duke when he is himself. Wouldn’t she still feel the sexual attraction? The writing, as always, is excellent and James includes a secondary romance, two for the price of one. Three out of four bookworms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking at the dates of all your posts. You've been busy reading! The last fiction book I read for pleasure was Steven Lawhead's book Patrick. (You know my fascination with Ireland.) I can't remember the last time I read a romance, but if you still have this Christina Dodd book, I might have to borrow it. ;) She always was a fave. --Kelley

Julie said...

It's yours. Was Patrick good?